On February 29, 2024, YUMIE was given the opportunity to speak at Gallaudet University, a place she has always dreamed of visiting.

In July 2023, when she attended the World Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf in Cheju, Korea, she had the opportunity to meet with Roberta Cordano, President of Gallaudet University, and other staff from the university. This connection led to this lecture.

She talked about her upbringing, her encounter with the ocean, her bumpy road to becoming a professional bodyboarder, the pain and humiliation she went through until she was able to become independent, and her current activities.

99% of the participants were Deaf university students and faculty, and the remaining 1% were Coda students and non-deaf university faculty. Even though they were born and raised in different countries and in different environments, it was a very comfortable experience for YUMIE to give a lecture in a foreign country surrounded by people who are Deaf and are deeply involved in the world of Deaf people.

YUMIE realized that “the ocean is a world without discrimination where everyone is equal,” and she continued to challenge herself as a professional bodyboarder. Now, she is trying every day to create “a society where people who can hear and those who cannot hear can join hands together and play an equal role.” We want to express our gratitude to Gallaudet University for providing a place for YUMIE to share her passion and for supporting her until the end of her lecture. Also We want to thank everyone who listened to her story. Thank you very much.